Sunday 3 August 2008

Do I Have To Be So Kiam?

Got the first sight of my new place today and I'm utterly gutted. So what everybody's been saying is true afterall. All this while and I just brushed the comments and advices aside, thinking that they might just be fussy and have expensive tastes (despite me being one of the most critical around). My brain told me not to believe until I have seen it for myself. I conjured up the worst image, made rough plans on how to cope with not having internet access and had strategies of moving gradually ie living at 2 places until I'm completely settled in the new place. I don't know how polygamous people do it but just the thought of planning which bed I'm sleeping in a certain day in a week leaves me drained. Anyways all that clearly wasn't enough to prepare me for today.

The room is half the size of my current room which is more than expected from the generous descriptions of other predecessors. Already planned for disposal of unnecessary belongings, although I know for sure that wouldn't even be sufficient- yes it's TINY-more suitable for a hamster. The furnishings or lack thereof leave much to be desired. Who builds wooden furniture and leave the insides unsanded? And neither painted nor varnished? If proper nice wood can la haiyo...So called wardrobe, chest drawers are that basic. OK reminds self the rent's bloody bloody cheap. Although it used to be free.. but even with an unfair charge now, it's still bloody bloody cheap! Yeah I could probably adapt to this shabby room since I spend most of my time hibernating away anyway.

Wandered out to have a better feel of the place. This IS a dorm. So MANY people on this floor alone. Fine- can deal with it. Kitchen's equipped with basic appliances. That's it. So many people and just a table and 2 chairs? Minimal space for personal belongings ie have to convert miniscule bedroom into studio bedroom. Have to lug crockery, cutlery and food out into the kitchen and back into room each time I feel like having a meal? Starts psyching self... Well, it's not even conducive for meal preparations, so maybe I could live on biscuits all year round? And alternate it with meals from the errr 'nutritious' canteen?

Next stop. Toilets. Errr.. Cubicles of just toilet bowls. Looks clean. Ok I guess... Move on. Showers. How in the world do so many people share that number of showers and baths (who the hell uses baths in shared accommodation?!!??)? Did the maths and realised word about people having to queue for them is well more than logical. It IS definitely true! Die Die!!!!

OK shabby room I can possibly ignore if I try really really hard. No proper showering facilities cannot la wei. Shower also feel guilty coz there's a whole line waiting after you. How la? Somemore no internet o_O How to tahan for a year like this?!??!

So tempted to go look for a proper place to rent now. But it'll definitely cost about 4 times more. And truthfully this shithole is irresistably cheap! In all my years here, NOWHERE else can be this cheap. But then again, even if it was still free, I admit I'd still think twice. It's frankly not fit for occupancy, not only it's unethical to charge for it from this year onwards, it's a safety hazard- to physical (eeewww going without showers for 3 days etc) and mental (thinking that people are noticing the build up of dirt on your skin) wellbeing! This is the worst place ever la, shockingly even more than any existing student accommodation. BUT it's DIRT CHEAP!

The thing is I'm currently paying 3 times more. If I had it my way, I'll continue staying here despite the higher rent since I'm so attached to this place plus lazy to move also. What to do, the downside of not being a student anymore means I can't stay in fuss-free all-in student accommodations any longer. Sigh...


So how la? Should I try this crappy place out which by the way is only 2 minutes away from my workplace? Could possibly do the alternate nights here and there before I'm officially evicted end of this month just to get a feel...Hmmm...I wonder whether the money saved will be used towards treating my future skin disease and other associated disorders which I predict will develop soon enough if I go with this option.

OR stop being kiam AND greedy and just go look for a proper place to live? BUT the monetary difference in potential savings is actually quite significant especially after conversion. Argh!!! BUT (ok this is the last but) what is the point of working day and night and yet at the end of it not being able to even look forward to heading back to a nice comfy place to unwind? Haiyo... see la, that's why I said home is best. Sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

STOP BEING SO KIAM SIAP!!!!!!!!!!
Good Lord, I think I've said this fifteen hundred times in the last five years!
Stop now! Hehehehe...

tinted monkey said...

Can't help it la, it's like an obsession, plus i'm bloody miskin to not be kiam ;)