Tuesday 29 July 2008

Last Day of Summer 2008

Came back to a lifeless room, devoid of any living soul, not even the briefest sight of my 8-legged live-in partner Fat Spidey.

Nobody's grumbling, nagging, or convincing me to check and recheck things, and neither is anybody up to any mischief, cracking silly jokes and laughing with and at me. Nobody's driving me up the wall, and neither can I drive anybody up the wall. Neither can I grumble, nag and do the whole mirror response thing with anybody. A box of plasters, a pile of crumpled tissue papers, a couple of coins and a supply of Maggi Mee were all that was left to remind me that this room had seen better days.

No more commanding and demanding, no more endless ice creams in the garden, no more late night movies, no more making one-sided deals.

I watched with a heavy heart as they walked away and as I turned in the opposite direction to head to a different terminal alone, I knew this was the last day of summer for me.

No comments: