Monday 10 November 2008

Cologne, Germany

When you are skinned and kiam but wanting to go on holiday, the best way out is to search through Ryanair's site. If you have an adventurous streak or rather 'super kiam' nature, you'd go for the cheapest flight and end up randomly booking cheap flights to a place you've never heard of which is quite exciting really. Until you find out Ryanair's 'Dusseldorf airport' is not even in Dusseldorf which by the way has its own international airport. Thank goodness for the invention of internet and soon enough we found ourselves on the bus to Cologne which is 1.5 hours from the airport. We did pass Dusseldorf on the way but thought that we'd rather explore Germany's 4th biggest city first.

But seriously, how many monuments and castles and buildings can one see? Clearly there's a reason why I'm not in architecture. I know of people who enjoy going to these places etc, but unrefined me who think all Scottish castles are similar got bored to the point of thinking that the Cologne Cathedral looks eerily familiar. Reminds me of Marischal College. Yeah despite the fact that I spent an entire year of my life being holed up in Marischal's basement, I have yet to be able to appreciate the difference in their intricacies :)


The miserable weather didn't help either. The only thing that caught my eyes there were the bakery stores which I miss sorely. The Scots should really learn from the Germans on how to make quality pastries.



After a day of scoffing on sugar, the high still hasn't kicked in, so we decided to leave for somewhere more promising. Hopped on ICE (the intercity express train) and we were in Amsterdam in 2.5 hours :)

P/S: Pics were taken by one of my travelling partners :)

No comments: