Tuesday 28 October 2008

The Quarter Century Wish

I can't get it out of my head. Those bluish-gray eyes looking at mine pleading for help. The ravaged body doubled up in pain. The grimace on her face trying to accept the onslaught.

Gone is the smile that would greet me no matter how bad life has messed her up. Gone is the low pitched voice that she would muster no matter how tired she was. Gone is the fine barrier between tolerable and torture.

And all I could do was watch. The other pair of eyes were set on me. If I felt helpless, how then must he have felt being there almost 24/7? I then realised he was not the pushy guy like the ignorant lot of us though he was. He had to do what he has been doing all along because that was all he could do. Not because he wanted to but he had to. And all I could do was watch. Those eyes pierced right through me.

That day was supposed to be special for me but it turned out to be a stressful one. That was until I saw her that evening. If I could have one wish that day, it would be for her to be comfortable in her remaining days. I heard the last minute phonecall I made that night managed to turn things around. For now. I hope enough to bring a smile back to her face. Now that I'm on leave, I know I won't ever see her again. Not phycically. The mental image will remain vivid though. The smile, the voice, the writhing body, the bluish-gray eyes.

No comments: